Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spending Hiatus

the challenge is to not spend money on this little guy.

So I have unofficially enrolled myself in the Simple Lovely Spending Hiatus. I say "unofficially" because, let's face it, I suck at not shopping. I think it'll be good though, especially since all the (necessary) super spending that was involved with the wedding last year and Christmas are over. So the idea is not no purchasing at all, but just not unnecessary purchases. So I'm still allowed to buy stuff for my son's birthday party coming up next month and I do have a gift card from Janie and Jack that I'm sure will scream my name if I find something I'm in love with there (went there last week and didn't buy anything!).

But I've surprised myself since deciding to hop on the wagon two weeks ago. Today I went to Nordstrom Rack and bought NOTHING. I surprised myself. I even had a return which has granted, get this... a negative balance on my Nordstrom account (squee!!). I can't tell you how long it's been since I had a $0 balance on that card. Heck, I can't remember the last time the balance was less than $100, not since before their big sale last summer, that's for sure. So other then slipping up last weekend and getting two tops from Gap (buy one get one free + an extra 20% off- seriously, you can't beat that) I think I've actually been doing pretty well. I even tried to look for something to buy at Nordstrom Rack today and just couldn't get myself to purchase something I didn't need.

So it's not entirely my strong will power that's keeping this spending hiatus thing going, I think it's party because I haven't found things that I get that "must have" feeling over. Maybe part of it's just because I've changed my mind set and am looking around my room at all the unnecessary (and some necessary) things that I have no room for. We'll see how it fares for the rest of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment