Monday, March 30, 2009

English Tea Scones


Sometimes when I buy scones they can be a little too dry for me. But, lucky for me, I found a recipe from The New Baking Book that comes out nice and moist every time! The first time I made these was with Christopher and we put currants in them and called them "Peter Rabbit Buns" because Peter Rabbit ate currant buns. He loved them! This last time that I made them was for a play date snack. I served them with lemon curd that I found through Stephmodo via Design Mom, and some fresh whipped cream. Yummy! I think maybe I'll make some scones with fresh Lemon Curd to give out as Easter presents!

2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup dried currants or raisins

1. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

2. In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, whipping cream, and currants/raisins. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture and stir with a fork until moistened.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quickly knead the dough by folding and fently pressing dough for 10-12 strockes or until the dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll the dough into and 8-inch square. Cut into 16 squares.

4. Place scones 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. You can brush the scones with some milk and sprinkle them with a little sugar. Bake in a 400ยบ oven for 12-14 minutes (mine usually only take about 10-11) or until golden. Remove the scones from the baking sheet and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment